Saturday, June 10, 2017

Coffee Got Your Teeth Down? Or Should I say.. Brown?

If you’re anything like me, then you love coffee. I started drinking coffee early on in college. I’ve always been a fan of caffeine, but never got into coffee because soda and other caffeinated beverages always seemed better to me. However, I quickly became a fan of coffee once I really started drinking it. It first started as something I would drink in social environments at the cafe at my university from time to time with my friends. But the more I drank, the more accustomed my taste buds became to it’s bitter but delicious taste of chocolate and other flavors. I guess at some point I transitioned into becoming a full-time coffee drinker. I ended up buying a keurig, and this marked the beginning of my long standing love affair with coffee. 



The problem with coffee, however, is that it has a nasty habit of staining your teeth. I really value my dental hygiene and am insecure about my teeth getting stained or looking gross. Afterall, teeth are often what help to solidify a first impression you might have with someone. Whether we like it or not, our minds subconsciously make a lot of judgments about a person based on their teeth. Consequently, it’s super important for me to keep my teeth clean and somewhat stain free. To do this, there are several different ways that I have researched to whiten your teeth that do not involve going to the dentist. So if you’re looking for a few ways to keep those coffee stains off your teeth, read below!


First it’s important to note why teeth can begin to yellow or get stained. Certain foods can stain your enamel, which is the outermost layer of your teeth. Additionally, plaque buildup on your teeth can cause them to look yellow. This type of discoloration can usually be treated with regular cleaning and whitening remedies. However, sometimes teeth look yellow because the hard enamel has eroded, revealing the dentin underneath. Dentin is a naturally yellow, bony tissue that lies underneath the enamel. In this case, it may be a bit harder to whiten your teeth. But hopefully you can use a few of the tips below to help make your smile a little bit whiter!


One natural, at home remedy is to brush your teeth with baking soda. Baking soda actually has natural whitening properties due to it’s abrasivity when scrubbing into your teeth. In fact, it is true that many companies use baking soda as an ingredient in toothpaste. There were several studies done that show the effectiveness of baking soda and it’s whitening properties, making it a sure way to make your smile just a bit whiter. Baking soda is extremely cheap and affordable as well, making it perfect for anyone who wants to whiten on a budget! And let’s face it, anything is cheaper than the dentist. 


Another at home remedy is hydrogen peroxide, which is a natural teeth whitener as well. People have in fact been using hydrogen peroxide for years to kill bacteria in their mouths and to whiten teeth. This is also another ingredient used in everyday toothpastes from a lot of different commercial products. I hope this article is helpful to you in your teeth whitening adventures!





No comments:

Post a Comment